Welcome! 

Where classical school and homeschool teachers talk.

Discussion Starts Here.

For the Children's Sake.

Learn from Others.

Add Your Voice to the Conversation.

Glad You Are Here.

Give Us Your Question.

Chris Perrin

Senior Thesis for Homeschooled Seniors?

If you are homeschooling a high school student--do you plan on having him or her do a senior thesis? In what ways are you seeking to prepare your student for this project?

Posted (edited)
On 8/27/2018 at 8:19 AM, Chris Perrin said:

If you are homeschooling a high school student--do you plan on having him or her do a senior thesis? In what ways are you seeking to prepare your student for this project?

I did not make my first two graduates, partly because I didn’t have to submit one when I graduated. We had a mamoth research paper, which we were not previously prepared for, but that is not the same. 

What are the advantages to taking on such a task? Because I still five more to graduate. ☺️

Edited by Cheryl Floyd

It's a no here--not something we did (or will do, with my youngest). I have had my seniors do a senior project, which we tailored to their talents and interests. For example, one daughter kept a January-December nature diary, writing an essay for each month and painting/drawing to illustrate. Another daughter had to write a *non-fiction* book on a topic of her choice. She chose the 20th century space race (something that fascinated her, and happened before her lifetime, so it felt like history to her). She had to choose ages 4-8 or 8-12, and write to that audience. (Mine also did one research paper, on a smaller scale, just so they'd be aware of what the process entailed when they headed off to college.)

My purpose with these projects was to give my students a chance to use the talents they have to produce something worthwhile, perhaps to spark ideas for future possibilities for them. The idea of a "senior thesis"--high school seniors, ages 17 or 18?--seems a bit premature to me. I've never looked into it (maybe it means something else than I think it does), but I associate the idea of a "thesis" with a master's or doctoral degree.

• Like 1