Welcome! 

Where classical school and homeschool teachers talk.

Discussion Starts Here.

For the Children's Sake.

Learn from Others.

Add Your Voice to the Conversation.

Glad You Are Here.

Give Us Your Question.

Chris Perrin

What Topics Would You Like to See Addressed?

Let the Scholé Muses know what topics, ideas, or concerns you would like them to address and discuss. Please suggest your ideas in this thread!

Thank you for asking! I would definitely like to see more topics related to students in the middle and high school years. There are so many options and support for those just starting on the journey. It gets harder to find other families who are willing to share their lives and choices as the students get older and need privacy themselves. I live in a small town where many homeschool families send their teens to the local Christian school for middle / high school. I have found that with the huge popularity of child lead learning and unschooling years ago, we now have many early teens whose parents struggle to teach “typical” high school subjects. Makes forming coop groups a challenge.  Many families of course have more than one child so may still be focusing on nature studies and seasonal tables and may not have gotten prepared to direct chemistry or rhetoric. I would love to see Morning Basket models or ideas with/for teens. Feeling like we are doing it a bit on our own and would love to have a conversation around this.

• Like 1

This is so true! We actually focus our co-op on the highschool, and let everyone else fall in line with what we are doing. You could take a look at our website: providenceprep.net. I'd be happy to answer specific questions about what we do.

I completely agree!  Our homeschool co-op was also initially built with the junior high and high school scope and sequence in mind, and then we filled in the grammar years with the subjects needed to prepare the students once they reach the junior high / high school years.  We are in our third year of teaching the upper grades, and currently have grades through 9th grade.  We are actually located in the City of Chicago, but the situation in the city is much the same as it seems you are facing.  Many co-ops focus on the younger years, and then parents either decide they aren't equipped to homeschool junior high / high school and send their kids to the public school, or the parents move out of the city and we lose that population.  Unfortunately, this is just the time when the students are really seeking community (and the parents are seeking support) most.  We have developed a full scope & sequence laying out our curriculum through junior high and high school that I'm happy to share if you would like.  Otherwise, I'm also happy to answer any specific questions that you have!

• Like 1

We are a co-op located in Cary, NC that has grades 1st through 9th this year.  We have over 100 students.  We have been finishing up the development of our formal High School Program for the coming year.  We've considered at length, the way to engage High School students in a morning time.  We've decided a blended model of some mornings participating with the younger students and listening in on the Chapel instruction is appropriate and beneficial to them as well as the younger students, and then other mornings we plan to split them out by gender, and have a forum type setting with socratic discussion about thought provoking, culturally relevant, and even controversial topics, led by a Teacher who can help them to see things through the lens of Faith/Truth.  

• Like 1