Welcome! 

Where classical school and homeschool teachers talk.

Discussion Starts Here.

For the Children's Sake.

Learn from Others.

Add Your Voice to the Conversation.

Glad You Are Here.

Give Us Your Question.

Shannon Iverson

Socratic Saturdays

Over the summer my son and I began building Socratic Saturday mornings. I longed for meaningful discussion with him about books we were reading but it seemed impossible to carve out time in an over scheduled day with teaching four and working from home. We began with Lewis, a lovely place to start,  reading Until We Have Faces. We would get up before the sun, sneak out of the house to a coffee shop a d chat.  This is the good stuff I have waited for! My closed-mouth teen began speaking, and boy did he have a lot to say.  My question is this:  how are your book discussions or narrations going this year? And what are you really loving to read?  (Or perhaps not enjoying! )  Cheers, Shannon 

This is so sweet. My ten year old and I have a date scheduled to discuss Danfelion Fire and Chestnut King by ND Wilson. It’ll be our first time doing something like this and I was going to use some discussion questions from Sarah McKenzie’s book The Read Aloud Family. I’d like to know more about the Socratic Method and Socratic book clubs though.

I love Sarah's podcast! I have not read the book yet. However, I did brush up on my literary skills going through Center for Lit's Teaching The Classics program. They give a good amount of material for Socratic discussion questions in the book. I would like to see how a book club would work as well! Maybe something to look into...

This is a great idea! I have six children still at home, but the oldest one has graduated. However, when I do read-alouds with the family, the youngest ones are the ones usually narrating back and we move on afterwards, so the older ones don't really get much time for deeper discussion. This might be something I can do with them once a week or maybe once a month since I'd be taking out three. :)