Welcome! 

Where classical school and homeschool teachers talk.

Discussion Starts Here.

For the Children's Sake.

Learn from Others.

Add Your Voice to the Conversation.

Glad You Are Here.

Give Us Your Question.

Sign in to follow this  
Patrick Halbrook

Teaching History - "Reading Like a Historian"

Teaching history at the logic/rhetoric level means going beyond the grammar-stage memorization of facts to the development of historical thinking skills. One such skill is the ability to accurately understand and interpret historical documents.

A resource I've found interesting and helpful is Stanford University's "Reading Like a Historian" resources. The authors focus on teaching students skills such as sourcing, contextualization, corroboration, and close reading (see the chart attached to this post as a PDF).

Has anyone else used these resources before? If so, what did you think of them?

What aspects of Stanford's "Reading Like a Historian" approach seem most in alignment with our goals as classical educators? What aspects are not?

Historical Thinking Chart.pdf

I used this resource recently when discussing the Stamp Act. I found it very helpful to have several relevant documents compiled along with the lesson plan on guiding the students.

I think it aligns with our goals as classical educators because it encourages students to contextualize the documents and the authors. I'm constantly pushing my students to adopt a historical perspective so they can empathize with people in the past. Any resource that helps with this goal is useful.