Welcome! 

Where classical school and homeschool teachers talk.

Discussion Starts Here.

For the Children's Sake.

Learn from Others.

Add Your Voice to the Conversation.

Glad You Are Here.

Give Us Your Question.

megandunham

Anyone else out there teach in a PreK-2nd grade class?

Just curious! I'd love to start some more conversations here, but wondered if there are any other teachers who are teaching at this level who check in here?

I lead a co-op class of 5-9 year-olds. But it is only one hour and this semester we covered North American Saints of the Orthodox Faith. I read an account of the saint's life while they colored a picture of their icon. Then I showed them on a globe and sometimes on various maps where they came from and where they went during the missionary journeys. They would take with them a puzzle provided by the curriculum. My students ASKED if they could spend 5 minutes in silence in the church in order to learn how to be blessed through silent prayer! If there was time I would take them to the parking lot to use chalk. The first day, my grand idea was they would re-create the map of Russia and Alaska's connection. I wasn't expecting perfection, just effort. But one student had a meltdown thinking I wanted him to draw all the islands of Canada. I had to adjust how I presented my assignments and what was realistic for our time. 

Any ideas on other topics we could cover for a one hour period? They do math with their moms. Reading instruction happens at home as well.

• Like 1