Jump to content

Welcome! 


Where classical school and homeschool teachers talk.

 

 

Discussion Starts Here.

For the Children's Sake.

Learn from Others.

Add Your Voice to the Conversation.

Glad You Are Here.

Give Us Your Question.

Recommended Posts

Browsing our ClassicalU forums content I came across this thread: 

 

Specifically the short video referenced in the response post. The presenter of the video has specific things to say about children and the effects of technology. I know from observations of myself, I grow in anxiety and distractibility when I use my phone and computer frequently. These days I find I have to purpose to NOT use them. What am I showing my children? This is what it is to be an adult? My own college classes and this forum are online, but I want them to do all their course work through books and paper, and all their socializing in person. I wish I could have the Great Books courses locally and that ClassicalU was a support group downtown, but  they aren't. So I compromise and use the computer/my phone. 

To wind down in the evening I play Words with Friends. I justify this as superior to the Xbox because it is a spelling and strategy game. But the truth is it's still electronic entertainment. It's still solitary. And of course I go on facebook multiple times a day as a "break". Yet I am slightly insulted when I am out with people and they answer or pull out their phone. How do my children feel? Who could be calling or texting during school hours that's more important than what we are doing together? 

So are there necessary or beneficial uses for electronic devices in education - especially for the young? Is there an age that is too young and other skills and concrete materials ought to be employed first? Is the damage that is coming out through studies and observations, statistics and data enough to warrant not using devices before middle school? That age seems shocking to suggest. But just twenty-five years ago there was hardly anything to use before that time.

My 14yo daughter has friends she keeps in contact with from our church camp through social hang-outs. I am glad she is maintaining relationships from camp. But she doesn't have her own computer or phone. She has to use ours and ask to do so. But, she develops a negative attitude when she is denied or we want to do something as a family. So, I see this rejection of the ones who are present for virtual "community" happening. I am sure that is how my kids feel when I have my phone out or am on it while "we" are supposed to be watching a movie. I wonder if this is what happens with books compared with movies, and curriculum compared with online opportunities. 

Can you imagine if God had chosen to send a program instead of Jesus? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm reading this post over a cup of coffee at Panera Bread, and just a few minutes ago I overheard a conversation involving a young couple eating breakfast with their boy, who was playing games on a tablet, and a lady sitting next to them: "We bought him this when he was five. He's seven now, and it's his most prized possession!" I cringed a little bit, thinking about how Steve Jobs apparently did not allow his own children to use the very iPads that he designed.

There's so much to say about technology...I'm just going to throw out a few semi-related thoughts on how I have tried to work through these issues:

  1. There's debate over what exactly "classical" education is. However one defines it, one of its chief (and best) characteristics is that there is, at its heart, an instinct to resist modern educational fads, most of which revolve around overblown promises about technology.
     
  2. Right now we're in the midst of a crisis over contemporary technology. Many generations have gone through similar crises. Neil Postman wrote Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business and Technopoly: The Surrender of Culture to Technology before the age of the internet, but they are as relevant today as ever. For a fun take on how people dealt with the technological developments of the past, see William Powers's book Hamlet's Blackberry: Building a Good Life in the Digital Age. I'm in the midst of studying the Industrial Revolution with my history students...now there is a period in which it took a long time for people to work through how to use technology in way that produced human flourishing rather than suffering.
     
  3. One of the best thinkers out there right now, in my opinion, is Cal Newport. He has a great blog you can subscribe to, and a book coming out next month called Digital Minimalism (his book Deep Work is also great). He has so many good ideas I'm not even going to try to summarize any of them here.
     
  4. Some evenings I spend more time than I should on my phone browsing through Facebook or news sites when I feel like I should be reading books. I realized recently that this is partly because I have a pretty noisy house (four kids, aged 2-11); when I'm not directly interacting with them, trying to read a book that takes real concentration is pretty difficult, and I get irritated at being interrupted. If I'm doing something not so important (being on my phone), I don't mind all the interruptions. So my being on my phone may be, psychologically, a logical response to the situation. I don't know if this is good or bad, but it sparks the thought that when we're thinking about wanting our kids to spend time in activities that require concentration, how do we best create a home environment in which that is possible? (Having the TV on a lot isn't going to help.)
     
  5. As a teacher, I find myself thinking quite a bit about my use of screens in class. If I'm giving a lecture, should I have a slideshow with lots of visuals, since that will help keep the students' attention? Or is this merely reinforcing their dependence upon screens? There must be a good balance here.
     
  6. From my own informal observations, having taught high school for over a decade, my students today seem to be simultaneously 1) more dependent upon their phones, and 2) more aware of their phones' dangers, and less likely to be wrapped up in the novelty of having one. Ten years ago, a student sneaking his phone out was probably having fun playing Angry Birds; today, he is probably keeping up with an ongoing group chat with his friends that feels (but actually isn't) very important. This year I have two students who chose to write their senior theses on the dangers of technology for young people. I think that's a good sign. (On the other hand, I hear Literature teachers questioning whether students are able to read as much or as deeply as they could before smartphones.)
     
  7. When I was a kid, from an early age, my dad frequently took me to the shooting range and taught me how to handle and safely use firearms. A gun is a powerful piece of technology, but growing up being trained to use one safely is, I think, better than simply avoiding them altogether if someone is going to be able to use them responsibly as an adult. (Europeans might make the same argument about consuming alcohol...but that's another story.) Maybe this is a good way to think about technology with our kids. My own kids have the privilege of spending time on screens on a regular basis, but my always insisting on specific limits to how much they can watch shows or play video games, they're being trained in the habit of having to be aware of how much they are doing--a skill they wouldn't develop if we banned screens altogether.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Patrick Halbrook said:

Some evenings I spend more time than I should on my phone browsing through Facebook or news sites when I feel like I should be reading books. I realized recently that this is partly because I have a pretty noisy house (four kids, aged 2-11); when I'm not directly interacting with them, trying to read a book that takes real concentration is pretty difficult, and I get irritated at being interrupted. If I'm doing something not so important (being on my phone), I don't mind all the interruptions. So my being on my phone may be, psychologically, a logical response to the situation. I don't know if this is good or bad, but it sparks the thought that when we're thinking about wanting our kids to spend time in activities that require concentration, how do we best create a home environment in which that is possible? (Having the TV on a lot isn't going to help.)

I have also used my phone when I thought I ought to be reading in the midst of my own noisy house (five kids, aged 2-11). I do think that it is an easier thing to pick up and concentrate on than a book, but I have also found that become less attentive to what is happening with the children than if I had a book. That could be my own problem, but it makes sense to me that a more stimulating medium like a phone absorbs attention more than a less stimulating (and by stimulating here, I mean the physiological effects) medium like a book. I have found that I can read and still get much out of the reading (provided it isn't a complicated argument) despite distractions. Plus, I'm happier with myself for reading rather than using the phone.

4 hours ago, Patrick Halbrook said:

From my own informal observations, having taught high school for over a decade, my students today seem to be simultaneously 1) more dependent upon their phones, and 2) more aware of their phones' dangers, and less likely to be wrapped up in the novelty of having one. Ten years ago, a student sneaking his phone out was probably having fun playing Angry Birds; today, he is probably keeping up with an ongoing group chat with his friends that feels (but actually isn't) very important. This year I have two students who chose to write their senior theses on the dangers of technology for young people. I think that's a good sign. (On the other hand, I hear Literature teachers questioning whether students are able to read as much or as deeply as they could before smartphones.)

This may be true, but I also think that children today, because they have been saturated in phone-mediated experience, are less capable of escaping because of how dependent our culture has become on their use. I find that many of my students "study" while texting one another with questions (or other things). So, instead of going to study together at one's house or at a coffee shop, they mediate their experience through the very inefficient method of texting. I cannot imagine productive work done under such conditions (although I have known a student who "studied" while watching Netflix--imagine how well that could go!).

 

4 hours ago, Patrick Halbrook said:

When I was a kid, from an early age, my dad frequently took me to the shooting range and taught me how to handle and safely use firearms. A gun is a powerful piece of technology, but growing up being trained to use one safely is, I think, better than simply avoiding them altogether if someone is going to be able to use them responsibly as an adult. (Europeans might make the same argument about consuming alcohol...but that's another story.) Maybe this is a good way to think about technology with our kids. My own kids have the privilege of spending time on screens on a regular basis, but my always insisting on specific limits to how much they can watch shows or play video games, they're being trained in the habit of having to be aware of how much they are doing--a skill they wouldn't develop if we banned screens altogether.

I don't see how we can avoid teaching children to use technology, since it is much more difficult to navigate today's world without knowledge of it. I think the key is building into them a sense of independence by teaching them low-tech or non-tech alternatives--I know how to use technology, but in many cases I don't because I prefer to use a different method that I also know how to use. For example, I will still make my students compose essays or poetry in long hand rather than allow them a computer word processing program. They get familiar with the difference, and I get the opportunity to try to show them the benefits of both (better thinking and editing with long hand, but better speed and uniformity of appearance with word processor).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2019 at 12:57 PM, JTB_5 said:

I will still make my students compose essays or poetry in long hand rather than allow them a computer word processing program. They get familiar with the difference, and I get the opportunity to try to show them the benefits of both (better thinking and editing with long hand, but better speed and uniformity of appearance with word processor).

I like this a lot. We don't have to train children how to use technology in the same way we did in the 80's and 90's when it was rare. Now we have to train how "not" to use it. "Laying hands" on your work is sacramental. There is something "more" and not just laboriousness, to w r i t i n g your thoughts and expressing yourself poetically through pen and paper. Common place journaling could be another opportunity. But yes, when someone else needs to read it, a uniformed, word-processor paper is a better artifact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Cheryl Floyd said:

I like this a lot. We don't have to train children how to use technology in the same way we did in the 80's and 90's when it was rare. Now we have to train how "not" to use it. "Laying hands" on your work is sacramental. There is something "more" and not just laboriousness, to w r i t i n g your thoughts and expressing yourself poetically through pen and paper. Common place journaling could be another opportunity. But yes, when someone else needs to read it, a uniformed, word-processor paper is a better artifact. 

I don't use commonplace books, but at least two of our other teachers do or have done before. I even make it a point to grade their handwriting specifically on assignments, and I have them pay attention to the details of size, slant, ball letter formation, placement on the line, etc. Like Latin grammar does for the eye and mind, cursive handwriting trains the eye and hand to pay attention to multiple aspects at once until it becomes second nature.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×