Welcome! 

Where classical school and homeschool teachers talk.

Discussion Starts Here.

For the Children's Sake.

Learn from Others.

Add Your Voice to the Conversation.

Glad You Are Here.

Give Us Your Question.

Paul Dixon

Literature Teachers!

While I don't teach literature for our Logic school, I am helping with an overhaul of our Logic literature curriculum. What books do you teach to your Logic School students? Right now we have staples like Lord of the Flies and Tom Sawyer that work well for this age group. What books have worked for you, and which ones haven't?

I would be interested in some ideas of quick books or other short stories for a range of homeschool co-op kids that meet once a week for an hour. I think they want to be able to read the book in a week? That is why I thought of short stories. At this age, to use "quick books" I think of, would probably make them feel like they are reading "kiddie" books. So I am trying to think of meaty stories, but that are still quick to read?

Some of Edgar Allan Poe's stories are quick to read and provide some good opportunities for analysis. Anything by Flannery O'Connor would be relatively easy to grasp, and her stories can work on many levels. But, I'd love to hear from middle school teachers who think about these grade levels more often than I do.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Paul Dixon said:

Some of Edgar Allan Poe's stories are quick to read and provide some good opportunities for analysis. Anything by Flannery O'Connor would be relatively easy to grasp, and her stories can work on many levels. But, I'd love to hear from middle school teachers who think about these grade levels more often than I do.

I like both those authors, but I wonder if their work would be appropriate for junior girls (I ended up with all girls) who have not been delving into great literature previously?

@Cheryl Floyd  For junior high, Irving is absolutely appropriate - he is very descriptive and entertaining. Plus the storylines of the big two are familiar (Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle.) Hawthorne is a bit more challenging.

• Thanks 1