Welcome! 

Where classical school and homeschool teachers talk.

Discussion Starts Here.

For the Children's Sake.

Learn from Others.

Add Your Voice to the Conversation.

Glad You Are Here.

Give Us Your Question.

I have not created one, but I have started my children and I recited Father Tom Hopko's 55 Maxims for Christian Living. Because I don't feel familiar enough with the material I am using with my children, I don't feel equipped to create a catechism. If I were using the same thing every year, I would know it well enough to know what I wanted them to keep in their hearts, or at least their minds for a few years. I LOVE Josh's idea, but he has taught his materials for several years. I wonder that he would have been able to do it his first few years though. 

• Like 1

Great resource,  thanks! I'm considering doing something similar with the traditional Anglican catechism.  

The unfamiliarity was my concern.  As I'm catching up on my own classical ed just a step ahead of my son, I'm not sure I'm in a good position to create a catechism for everything from scratch.  But I may try ine for next year when we go back to the Ancients on the critical history, writers, and philosophers/philosophies.

I wonder if looking something up like, "Ancient history memory work" or "ancient history timeline"? when I triedd 50 most important facts of ancient history" what came up was diversified links to  facts about Greece, Egypt, and India. Maybe they could be conglomerated? These could be a good start in lieu of already knowing the material well enough to create a catechism? 

We created a catechisms this year for Latin, and language/grammar studies for middle grades. High school students catechisms this year consists of Latin, and essay writing. These pieces have, thus far, been very effective and we plan to reevaluate and edit them as needed for use in upcoming years. We are also hoping to build and incorporate a literature/history catechism next year, but I am struggling with this content at this point. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lisa Mayeux said:

We created a catechisms this year for Latin, and language/grammar studies for middle grades. High school students catechisms this year consists of Latin, and essay writing. These pieces have, thus far, been very effective and we plan to reevaluate and edit them as needed for use in upcoming years. We are also hoping to build and incorporate a literature/history catechism next year, but I am struggling with this content at this point. 

Oh! Is it possible to share your catechism? It sounds great!