Welcome! 

Where classical school and homeschool teachers talk.

Discussion Starts Here.

For the Children's Sake.

Learn from Others.

Add Your Voice to the Conversation.

Glad You Are Here.

Give Us Your Question.

Cheryl Floyd

Self-care for moms?

How do you handle being a full time mom? What do you do when you are stressed or come to the end of yourself? Or if your child(ren) are having a hard day? A facebook post quoting Charlotte Mason drew my attention to these questions the other day: 

"If mothers could learn to do for themselves what they do for their children when these are overdone, we should have happier households. Let the mother go out to play! If she would only have courage to let everything go when life becomes too tense, and just take a day, or half a day, out in the fields, or with a favourite book, or in a picture gallery looking long and well at just two or three pictures, or in bed, without the children, life would go on far more happily for both children and parents."

Sometimes it isn’t a manicure or a coffee date we need, but an attending of our own souls with the true, good, and beautiful. This is a schole’ solution.

Teaching littles, or having littles along with having to teach older children is HARD! But sometimes we can make it easier if we would do something restful like Charlotte suggests - make cookies together! Sometimes it’s attending to our homes: Organize the garage. That’s still learning. Name all the plants in the yard. If it’s raining outside watch Singing in the Rain! - homeschooling should be about making memories and relationship too. If you have a baby or toddler their should be “school” time that includes PLAY WITH THE BABY/TODDLER TIME! Education IS an atmosphere, a discipline, a life! It should be a lot more “real-life-looking” than what happens at a formal school.  

Do you struggle with stress and burn-out or how do you handle rough days?

• Like 1

One of our homeschool families is moving to Idaho & 4 families went to the beach for our last time together. Yesterday it was cold, drizzly & dreary here in So. Cal & we were in jackets and blankets, but we laughed, talked, shared joys & trials, watched 15 kids run around, swim & play. Why I haven't I done this sooner?!

Homeschooling, parenting, caring for elderly parents, marriage and just life, REQUIRES time out & refresh and renew. Months ago, I noticed I was losing my shine. I shrugged off thoughts of going away for a few days--my inner voice saying I was just being lazy & that I need to persevere. I re-read Ecc 7:8 "Finishing is better than starting" on my Bible app.

Now, I see that my perfectionism is not serving me or my family. It is sabotaging joy. I love your list--make cookies, organize the garage or their bedrooms, make memories. Thank you for your post!

• Like 1