Welcome! 

Where classical school and homeschool teachers talk.

Discussion Starts Here.

For the Children's Sake.

Learn from Others.

Add Your Voice to the Conversation.

Glad You Are Here.

Give Us Your Question.

My Minor Prophets professor at Faulkner University recently said he was looking into the idea "worldview". It got me thinking about how much that term comes up in Christian classical/homeschooling circles. What are your thoughts on "worldview?" How do you go about talking about worldview ideas with your students? How do you incorporate your ideals about worldview when choosing curriculum and topics? Here are a couple of my favorite articles on the topic:

Andrew Kern of Circe Institute - Christian Classical consulting group:
Marin Cothran - Memoria Press Christian Classical curriculum company, he also has fought for legislature and spoken before the Kentucky legislature and local government on moral issues:
Here he lists some books that help with the concept: https://classicallatin.org/exordium/what-is-the-christian-worldview/ 
Here Rod Dreher addressed a talk he heard about the effects of applying worldview analysis and then the next link is Heidi White addressing some of his concerns:  https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/the-problem-with-worldview-education/

What are some of your favorite resources when contemplating this idea? Is this age/grade range a good time to start bring these ideas to the forefront of discussions or do you start earlier or later?
Edited by Cheryl Floyd

I think one of the major difficulties with "worldview" analysis occurs when those using it seek only to reduce a book, or a person, or a position to a label, which they can summarily dismiss as irrational or false. I do think there is a place for a reductio ad absurdum argument, which seeks to adopt the position of the opponent in order to demonstrate that it is illogical or inconsistent with itself or with application to how one lives. However, that sort of analysis requires great skill at logical analysis. Even when it is done well, it isn't often persuasive, as it merely takes down defenses that an opponent may have, leaving the ground clear for a positive articulation of an alternative.

That being said, I think Douglas Wilson presents a fuller picture of worldview analysis that tries to get at the concept from multiple angles, using the metaphor of a wheel:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6