Welcome! 

Where classical school and homeschool teachers talk.

Discussion Starts Here.

For the Children's Sake.

Learn from Others.

Add Your Voice to the Conversation.

Glad You Are Here.

Give Us Your Question.

JTB_5

Routines and Liturgies

What routines or liturgies do you do regularly that enrich the experience of your family?

This is a really great question that I look forward to hearing about from others. May I ask though, what you intend to mean by the use of the word "liturgies"? We are now in a liturgical church tradition, but we were from a non-liturgical denominational approach. So, four or five years ago, being in classical circles I would have desired a routine to my days that also reflected something of my faith, but I would have thought the "routine" would be the thing that was "liturgical". Now, what I try to make sure is that not only do we have a routine that is rhythmic, but that what we are doing at certain points is sacred or sacramental. So we start our day with prayer recitation and a hymn as well as a "catechism" of reciting together, 55 Maxims for Christian Living before we go to breakfast. Then before we start breakfast we pray, and after we eat we pray. Then when we move into our dining room for the feast for our minds we recite together our prayers for educating our minds and souls. We prayer for and after lunch. And we stop at 3pm to go and recite our afternoon prayer which leads us into 10 minutes of silent contemplation and ends with us giving thanks. We also end our learning day with a thanksgiving prayer

As a routine for our study we begin with all listening to the same texts. I read something from our tradition, whether about what we believe, the church, or heroes of the faith. I also read books like Harry Potter, and have just started The Inferno. Then everyone does their own math - because they are fresh and give their best effort to the hardest subject. Then it sort of devolves with each choosing what to work on next independently. Some are taking piano, some aren't so a lot of their work from this point forward varies. But on Thursday we attend a co-op, and Friday mornings everyone packs up their math and their books to go to 3 out of 5's piano lessons. 

I'd love to say we do a bedtime story or something in the evenings, but what they all do is take taekwondo from 5:30-7. So we eat when they get home, watch something together, kids clean the kitchen and go to bed independently. I am usually up a little longer doing college class work, or in bed a little earlier to get up to do college work. 

My family celebrates the Sabbath and all of the Biblical feasts. Similar to the daily routine that Cheryl describes, our observance provides a sacred rhythm to our weeks, months and years. This was initially new to us, but over time we've developed our own festive family traditions. We have come to regard our celebrations as "here and now" reminders of God's grand narrative of redemption, salvation and ingathering that has been, and will be, accomplished through Jesus.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 4:46 PM, Cheryl Floyd said:

May I ask though, what you intend to mean by the use of the word "liturgies"?

While I think the term "liturgy" and "routine" are often used interchangeably, in my original post the former implies a religious purpose whereas the latter does not. Starting my class with a riddle would be a routine, but starting with a Scripture reading would be a liturgy.