Welcome! 

Where classical school and homeschool teachers talk.

Discussion Starts Here.

For the Children's Sake.

Learn from Others.

Add Your Voice to the Conversation.

Glad You Are Here.

Give Us Your Question.

Chris Perrin

Discussion 1: Lori Jill’s journey into classical education–what about yours?

During my first year of public school teaching (1993) I met and worked with a teacher who had previously been at the Logos School in Moscow, ID when the school first started.  She gave me a copy of Douglas Wilson's "Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning." This was my first exposure to classical education. I loved the philosophy, but could not imagine how to implement it, especially in a public school classroom.

In 1999, just as I was beginning my homeschool journey with my kindergartner, I found a copy of "The Well-Trained Mind" in a Barnes and Noble.  I was thrilled!  This was the first book that gave me any sort of a hint how to *do* this.  Over the past 20 years of homeschooling  I've read and studied a lot, and my thinking and implementation has evolved. 

Next year I will be teaching 6th grade in a classical school.  I'm nervous but excited, and have been thrilled to find ClassicalU.  I've been able to review concepts and learn new ones in preparation for next fall!

Hillary

I came to classical Christian education quite by accident. I started out firmly committed to the homeschool journey with my four daughters, and I began blogging at about that same time. I started following the blog of a lovely woman whom I now consider to be a friend. She posted about her experience homeschooling and utilizing The Well-Trained Mind. I bought a copy, had my husband read it to, and our journey took a little turn in a classical direction. To make a long story short, I eventually directed a Classical Conversations program in St. Louis. My husband began teaching Bible in a small classical school. He was then asked to move in a headmaster direction and we moved our family into a hybrid-school scenario in which they attended classes part of the time and were home with me the other part of the time. Three years ago my husband was asked to lead another school, this one a full-time classical Christian school, and we moved to Montana. Our girls have attended and I began teaching in the first grade last year.

I keep wanting to delve into ClassicalU, but probably need to do it in the summer when life slows down just a touch.

Megan