Welcome! 

Where classical school and homeschool teachers talk.

Discussion Starts Here.

For the Children's Sake.

Learn from Others.

Add Your Voice to the Conversation.

Glad You Are Here.

Give Us Your Question.

DianaC

High School weekly class schedule

Posted (edited)

Would any of you mind sharing what your high school weekly/daily class schedules look like, or give pros and cons you've noticed about certain schedules?

For example, do you prefer 50 minute classes held daily, or 90 minute classes held bi-weekly? Should math class happen every weekday? What classes would would an 11th grader take in a semester, in a year? Do you have a "dream" schedule? Do you have experience with any scheduling software? Any other bits of scheduling wisdom?

I'm interested in as little or as much as you want to share! 

Thanks,
Diana

Edited by DianaC

Posted (edited)

There has been some research I have heard in various talks about the range of people's attention spans. Supposedly 30-45 minutes is the maximum for the most attention an adult (so a teen also?) can give to a topic. Content like math can be beneficially done every day, but sometimes, if you were to do two, 2-session - 40 and 40 with ten-minute break - math classes in a week, the break between Monday and Wednesday, or Tuesday and Thursday gives the brain time to process and see patterns. Same for something like science where there needs to be time to contemplate. History may work better on a daily basis because it is usually narrative and biographical. 

The thing about saying "11th" grade is there isn't a real reason for why they ought to be studying economics "that" year or ancient or American or world history, or British versus American literature. So... Is it even wise to say that "have" to be in Alg II by that point? I don't know on those accounts. So much of any high school year would depend upon what they had already had. So maybe instead we could build a set of "ideal" content and skills introduced, covered, and mastered from 9th-12th grade? 

I would say:

Mastered Algebra I, familiar with geometry, exposed to Algebra II, bonus any higher math exposure (for general education, not "math" kids)

Mastered 3-5 page essay on a work of literature, mastered a 3 page research paper with 3 sources in either science or history

Good exposure to ancient, medieval, British - including Shakespeare - maybe including one enactment, and American literature. Some exposure to other world literature/"modern literature" - like C.S. Lewis, Tolkien, Chesterton. Understanding of what a plot is, understanding of what character arch is, arch types, protagonist verses hero. Understanding in context of various literary devices. Exposure to short, persuasive essays and speeches, poetry. 

Mastery of a comprehensive timeline of history where they can plug in any all other content they are exposed to - even math. They should be introduced to the people who discovered or formulated the math they use - it might make it more humane. Working knowledge of ancient- medieval, Renaissance-Enlightenment, and then Exploration-American, and then modern-current events history. Ideally this is done chronologically and the other classes coincide. Government and economics don't have to be a separate class. The most important things about those two topics are not the modern formulae and bureaucracy, but the ideas that shape the two, those coincide with history, and some with literature and even theology. 

Science for me is a mixed bag. I am unsure as to why it has to be "biology" "chemistry" and "physics" but that leaves a fourth year for perhaps in depth nature study (for freshmen probably), maybe a semester devoted to local flora and fauna with local guests as lecturers now and then, or classically, astronomy - this would be great during the ancient-medieval history cycle. 

I'm sure there are a lot of electives and other things that could be fleshed out and included. But that is what I worry about: that we shove too much "great" content in to a schedule and it comes across mediocre because young minds are ready for the level of the material at the level or delivery and the level of expected retention and comprehension. Generations ago had such a great handle on what could be expected of students, and all of society fit together in such ways as to ensure the preparation and comprehension. Then we somehow got way off the rails. Now we are almost blinded, and lamed in our ability to assess what we ought to be offering, and what they can actually handle. 

And in the end students have to "want" to receive, they have to pick up the fork and eat, and have an appetite, a large enough appetite, and then they have to exercise those "nutrients" into their minds and souls. All of that we cannot do for them.

I feel as though most of the time, students these days are doing educational what I did when I was 4 and 5 years old: say I am eating then at the first change feed my food to the dog or hide it under the china cabinet behind me. 

And my mom wondered how I was staying so skinny. I wasn't trying to be skinny, I just didn't want that food, or was full. 

How do you keep juniors and seniors interested in life-long learning? 

Edited by Cheryl Floyd

On 4/2/2019 at 10:53 AM, Cheryl Floyd said:

Supposedly 30-45 minutes is the maximum for the most attention an adult

This is very interesting! We've gone back and forth over desirability of the 40 min vs. 90 min classes. The teachers seem to prefer the longer classes meeting bi-weekly, but the students prefer the shorter class periods.

a semester devoted to local flora and fauna

I LOVE this idea!

I worry about: that we shove too much "great" content in to a schedule and it comes across mediocre

This is one of my fears as well...

Thank you for your insights, Cheryl!

Our high-schoolers take six 55-minute classes plus one 55-minute elective every day. We tried block scheduling with 90-minute periods a few years ago and it didn't go too well so we switched back. Some teachers liked it better and some didn't, but the main lesson I took away is that you probably have to stick with it for a few years to get it right. I do think it's easier to do in humanities classes than in science and language classes where daily practice is much more essential.

Our curriculum is posted online if you want to see what our juniors take: https://www.carychristianschool.org/prospective-families/upper-school/ (link is toward the bottom of the page).

Posted (edited)

Thanks Patrick! Seeing the schedule would be very helpful.

--I see a link to the curriculum, but not the schedule. Of course, looking at another school's curriculum is fun too! 🙂

Edited by DianaC

Our high school schedule is just 55-minute periods throughout the day with an elective at the end of the day:

1st period - 8:00 - 8:55
2nd period - 9:00 - 9:55
3rd period - 10:00 - 10:55
4th period - 11:00 - 11:55
Lunch - 11:55 - 12:30
5th period - 12:30 - 1:25
6th period - 1:30 - 2:25
Elective - 2:30 - 3:25

The order of the classes depends on the student, as we have three sections of each class meeting each period. On Fridays we have a modified schedule because we have House activities for an hour, so the periods are 45 minute periods.

(Is that what you were looking for? 🙂 )

Thank you Patrick, this is very helpful. We are having such a struggle with our high school schedule. In your school's schedule, are all the periods (except perhaps the elective) reserved for academic classes, or are there study periods/something else interspersed? Is each weekday identical (other than House- Friday), or do some classes meet  only two or three times a week?

I very much appreciate this inside-view of how your school arranges classes. Thank you so much for your time!

Posted (edited)

All classes except electives are academic classes, and all classes meet every day. Electives are either MWF or TR. So a typical schedule might run:

1st period - 8:00 - 8:55 - Apologetics
2nd period - 9:00 - 9:55 - European History
3rd period - 10:00 - 10:55 - Spanish I
4th period - 11:00 - 11:55 - Pre-Calculus
Lunch - 11:55 - 12:30
5th period - 12:30 - 1:25 - European Literature
6th period - 1:30 - 2:25 - Chemistry
Elective - 2:30 - 3:25 - Drama (on MWF); Chorus (on TR)

On Fridays, periods 1-6 are 45 minutes each, and there's a hour-long House period from 11:15 to 12:15.

We used to have students stay with the same group of other students throughout the day (we have three sections of each grade), but now we mix them up a bit. I think mixing them works a lot better.

I don't think it's necessarily an ideal schedule, and we've certainly talked about changing it up at some point. However, its advantage is that it's very simple and practical.

What's your high school's current schedule like? What problems are you having with it?

Edited by Patrick Halbrook

The simplicity of your schedule is stunningly beautiful! Our main problem is that we simply don't have enough time to do all the things we want...and just can't bear to drop anything 🙂

Our day is 15 minutes shorter than yours, we have (7) academic classes and (1) choir/pe, and each morning we have Morning Prayer which takes about 30 minutes  and after lunch a 15 minute Contemplation period. Something like your Friday schedule, with the 45min periods might be doable, though!

Yes, you do have a full schedule! Could any of the academic classes be turned into semester-long classes, so that they only take up half a year?

The Contemplation period sounds intriguing. How does it work? Do the students like it?

We don't have any formal daily prayer or worship, but typically each class sings a hymn before lunch and each period opens with prayer (if not more throughout the day).

We have been on a "drop day" schedule where each class meets 4 days/week for 52 minutes. For instance, Monday's schedule consists of periods 2-8, Tuesday 1-8 and drop 2nd, Wednesday 1-8 but drop 3rd, and so on. It can be confusing at times. Next year we're moving to a Copernican block schedule where all academic classes will meet in the morning and electives and study halls after lunch. We'll see how it goes!