Welcome! 

Where classical school and homeschool teachers talk.

Discussion Starts Here.

For the Children's Sake.

Learn from Others.

Add Your Voice to the Conversation.

Glad You Are Here.

Give Us Your Question.

NCAmusings

Greek for 2 years

I was hoping that CAP offered Greek Alive! similar to their Latin materials, but now I'm not sure where to turn. I'm thinking of materials to use at home (self-taught or DVD's). It was recommended to do elementary greek at a faster pace, and then go to Memoria's First Form Greek and/or A Primer of Biblical Greek. I wonder if I could do the same, but with Greek Alphabet Code CrackerSong School Greek ProgramGreek for Children Primer A Program, and . . ?

Any recommendations for 2 years of Greek (11-12th grades)?

I don't know if it would work for homeschool, but we use Athenaze I and II in our Greek classes.

Posted (edited)

Thank you. I've seen it listed on a homeschool forum elsewhere this evening, too. It's my understanding that Athenaze is Attic Greek vs. the aforementioned Koine materials? I've also read that GfC covers everything in Elementary Greek 1 and most of 2, as well as the first 15 lessons or so of Athenaze (1st Edition).

My student will have completed 4 years of Latin with CAP by the time we begin Greek. We were going to focus on Koine, but perhaps Ancient would be better? 

Edited by Melissa Hunt

Athenaze is Attic Greek. I don't know the value of choosing one over the other in general, but if the goal of studying is to eventually read, then the difference will be whether you want the reading of Scripture in the original Greek or the reading of Classical Greek Literature is your priority (or, perhaps whether the student will be going on to a Bible program in college where Koine will be better, or a Classics program where Attic will be better).

Have you heard of Dwane Thomas? He has online classes and one of them is Greek. it is $25/month to have access to all the classes he offers. After three years he stops charging! And it's for the whole family. I have five children I'm still homeschooling, so it's worth it for us. Some classes are live, but all are recorded. So if one was to work diligently you could just use the membership for a few months and then cancel. 

https://dwanethomas.com/greek-resources/