Welcome! 

Where classical school and homeschool teachers talk.

Discussion Starts Here.

For the Children's Sake.

Learn from Others.

Add Your Voice to the Conversation.

Glad You Are Here.

Give Us Your Question.

What do you think about Andrew's four arts of language? Are these the main four arts? Could there be any others to consider or is this a satisfactory way of summing up the broader art of language?

Traditionally the 'language arts' (artes sermocinales, starting, I think, with Cassiodorus) were the Trivium: grammar, dialectic, rhetoric. To the functions of listening, speaking, reading, writing, we might add 'thinking' perhaps! 

I've been trying to play with "arts" versus "content" since most people grew up with content as "subjects". So if the liberal arts of language are "grammar, dialectic, and rhetoric," would, "listening, speaking, reading, writing," be skills that are used in those arts? They could be subjects - writing, and reading have been treated as such - but really they are skills.

I guess they each could be honed to the level of an art, but really they do fall under the Trivium. I have attempted to create a graph of sorts, with the seven liberal arts on the left going from grammar up to cosmology, and then across the top I place content (subject) headings. Then I try to play with what content works well with which art in order to practice it or focus on specific skills within that art. Maybe I should replace the content across the top with skills. Then in the squares where skills and art intersect, I would put a "subject" or content area that could be used to practice the skill of the art. Still playing with it.