Welcome! 

Where classical school and homeschool teachers talk.

Discussion Starts Here.

For the Children's Sake.

Learn from Others.

Add Your Voice to the Conversation.

Glad You Are Here.

Give Us Your Question.

Chris Perrin

What is a logical fallacy?

I took a logic course at Faulkner University using Peter Kreeft's Socratic Logic text. We went through over 40 fallacies! A fallacy is an error is part of the reasoning that renders the conclusion invalid. How important is it that middle schoolers take a logic course? What are the best ways to approach logic with this age? I liked Kreeft's book, but we went through it so fast. I understand it's college, and we're "adults" taking the course. But, the material and the skills involved are so crucial for understanding every form of communication: written, spoken, heard, read. What we say, what we read, what we think we hear what we think we are saying, can be made clearer if we study logic properly. I wish I could have had Logic I and Logic II so that I could have taken more time to practice and contemplate the concepts and skills being given to me. Do you think this is true for middle schoolers and high schoolers? What other texts could be good types for modeling logic? If you read a good proverb, what story would be a good embodiment? I'm looking for embodiments of logic concepts.