Welcome! 

Where classical school and homeschool teachers talk.

Discussion Starts Here.

For the Children's Sake.

Learn from Others.

Add Your Voice to the Conversation.

Glad You Are Here.

Give Us Your Question.

JTB_5

Generating Ideas for Implementation of Gymnastic & Music

Despite referring to Gymnastic and Music as the foundation of the liberal arts, Clark and Jain offer little to know examples of implementation of these critical disciplines of classical education. I have spent a little bit of time brainstorming what gymnastic might attempt to teach and train. I'm curious to know what others think about implementing gymnastic and music curriculum/pedagogy, or identifying where it already exists.

What does gymnastic look like in practice?

Teaching and training skillful control of the body through:

1. Standing, sitting, walking, running, lifting, singing, dancing, etc.

2. Tool-using such as writing, cutting, organizing, etc.

3. Self-control exercises such as fasting, sleep regulation, praying, directing attention, etc.

After reading again the chapter on Music, I have some additional questions.

1. Is musical education similar to the way the score to a movie works; forming the proper affective background to form the audience's attitudes and reception of the narrative?

2. Would music operate in conjunction with gymnastic as the proper form for training bodily control? Armies use drums to train unified marching, would classical education use music to train certain skills of the body?

3. Would reading be lyrical? Like bards who sung their tales, would classical educators need to make reading come alive through the musical quality of our reading?