Welcome! 

Where classical school and homeschool teachers talk.

Discussion Starts Here.

For the Children's Sake.

Learn from Others.

Add Your Voice to the Conversation.

Glad You Are Here.

Give Us Your Question.

We are a 15-year old classical Christian school. I'm not sure that anyone has ever successfully conducted a Socratic discussion. Would anyone have a contact near Greenville, South Carolina that would allow a few of our teachers observe a Socratic discussion in action and have a "long-distance" mentorship program? 

I don't know of anyone in that capacity, but Matt Bianco of CiRCE Institute does Socratic Discussion training and would probably be willing to come out and do it for your teachers at the school. I don't know how much investment you are willing to undertake, but CiRCE also has 3-year mentorship programs, some of which includes Socratic teaching.

5 hours ago, jennycspears said:

Thank you for those tips. We are on a limited budget right now. We will just keep on working at it.

I understand that completely! I will say that one of the thing that you can do as a faculty is to read one of the Socratic dialogues together and get a discussion going on what Socrates does to move through a discussion.

I don't know if it is still available anywhere, but Jenny Rallens did a presentation on virtue formation in the classroom that involved her preparing a class of 5th graders for a discussion on The Lord of the Rings. You might try searching for that, or contacting Rallens to see if she has some resources to share.