Welcome! 

Where classical school and homeschool teachers talk.

Discussion Starts Here.

For the Children's Sake.

Learn from Others.

Add Your Voice to the Conversation.

Glad You Are Here.

Give Us Your Question.

kweitz

A Healthy Gymnastic Education

Migrated from the original forum: If a homeschool were employing the principles of gymnastic education well, what would that look like in specific terms? Is it possible? - Chris Perrin

. . . know that I am not employing the principles of gymnastic education well–if at all! To be honest, I’m not sure how it’s possible for our family. We spend the mornings working on “music,” and the entire afternoon on school. There isn’t much time for physical training. I usually send the kids outside to “run around and play” while I try to whip up something for supper. Evening recess is the extent of my gymnastic efforts!

I would like to explore ways I could incorporate a healthy gymnastic education into my children’s lives. I would be curious to know how fellow students insert physical training into their school days. Thanks! - Julie Eckstrom

How does gymnastic education look in your home?

I will say, on the eve of my youngest son's graduation party, that this is something I wish I had given more intentional thought to in the early years. :D 

But, accidentally, we did do some things in this vain that I think were helpful. First of all, training in the habit of attention has a gymnastic component, as students must learn to control their bodies in terms of sitting still and not distracting others. Our Morning Times were a good training ground for this. Lifetime physical culture skills included our nature walks and our children's copious unstructured outdoor play time, so that also counts as gymnastic education. Swim lessons and summer swim team (a.k.a the cheapest and best swim lessons ever!) were standard for all of our children. The real plus here is that the development of strong swimming skills is a lifetime safety and recreation must. Organized sports were a later addition for my youngest two, and the homeschool basketball team they participated in for about 7 years each was invaluable to their character as well as their development as athletes. Their coaches were godly men who called out the very best in each of them, and the family culture that developed around cheering their brothers on was priceless for their older siblings, and for their nephews!

At Providence Prep, we have added Swedish Drill this year for our students in preschool and elementary years. I surely wish I had implemented this in my home from the start! I cannot recommend it highly enough. It requires no equipment, and can be done in a small space and a short amount of time. Because we have no access to an outdoor play area, Swedish Drill quickly became a standard fixture! Don't miss this guest post from Dawn Duran at the Afterthoughts blog on Swedish Drill!

Edited by kweitz