Welcome! 

Where classical school and homeschool teachers talk.

Discussion Starts Here.

For the Children's Sake.

Learn from Others.

Add Your Voice to the Conversation.

Glad You Are Here.

Give Us Your Question.

Greetings,

After reviewing the presentations and articles, a few questions have come up.

1. "Like minded friends." I teach in a classical high school. The students do not always like each other. I also homeschool our kids. They do not always get along. When there is conflict present, how has this impacted schole time for you? How have you resolved this?

2. I like the idea of Schole sisters but it seems to me that an even more powerful means of modeling this for our kids, and making it part of the family culture and identity, is to have Schole Couples. Kids need to see their mom and dad engaged in this as part of the diet of activities. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any ideas?

God bless!

-Brandon Harvey

Brandon,

I really like your comment about "scholé couples!" The modeling displayed by a mother and father has to be the most powerful educational force in the world. 

I agree, Brandon! Scholé must be modeled. We have worked to cultivate it in our home, although my husband and I each have our own areas that we gravitate towards: mine tend to be literary, while his tend more theological, historical, and political. Two things that have helped: an open home with much hospitality, especially towards the college students in our area, and a real effort to guard the dinner hour as a time for discussion and debate. We also try (not always successfully) to keep a couple of evenings free for lengthy discussions and the occasional read-aloud with our high school/college kids. Sometimes that means forcing ourselves to just be present in the living room and available to anyone who happens to land there. And a primary thing in our family culture of scholé is our Lord's Day rest. Our hope is that these will be lifetime practices for our kids to imitate.